It’s that time of year again when we all get together to celebrate the winter holidays. Some people go to their homes, some go to the beach or mountains, and others go to a holiday party. Whatever your choice, make sure you have a safe trip. Here are some tips for getting there safely:
1. Know the road ahead. If you’re traveling by car, check your gas gauge before leaving home. You’ll want to make sure you have enough fuel to get where you’re going. If you’re driving in an unfamiliar area, check out the map. Find out where the nearest gas station is, and how far it is from your destination.
2. Have an emergency kit. Make sure you have a flashlight, a blanket, food, water, and first aid kit in your car. Make sure you know how to use these items. You never know when you might need them.
3. Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water while you’re traveling. You can get dehydrated without even realizing it.
4. Don’t drink and drive. It’s dangerous to drive while you’re drunk. Even if you don’t think you’re drunk, it’s best not to take chances.
5. Plan ahead. Make sure you have all the information you need before you leave. Know what you’ll be doing at your destination. Know who you’ll be meeting there. Make sure you know how much money you’ll need. Make sure you know what you’ll be wearing.
6. Leave early. It’s easier to get somewhere early than it is to get there late.
7. Get directions. If you’re traveling to a new city, find out how to get around. You’ll want to know which streets to avoid. You’ll also want to know where the closest hospitals are, and how long it will take you to get there.
8. Bring cash. Many places only accept cash.
9. Keep your cell phone charged. You never know when you’ll need it.
10. Have fun. Traveling isn’t always about getting to a destination. Sometimes it’s about having fun with the people you’re traveling with.